European Vegetarian and Animal News Alliance (EVANA)
Select language:
en de fr pt es
it nl ro sl sq sv

Book recommendation:
Paving the Way for Peace: Living Philosophies of Bishnoi and Jains
Join us on
facebook logo

RSS engl.
RSS all lang.

Donation to EVANA.

Support Captain Bethune

Information: Sea Shepherd

Send e-mail encouragement
Captain Bethune wants to hear from you. Knowing that people are supporting him fuels his spirit. You may e-mail letters of positive support to Captain Bethune at: supportpete@seashepherd.org

Please note – Captain Bethune can only review your emails during his attorneys’ daily visits, so please keep them brief. He will not be allowed to keep these printouts in his jail cell, and he will not be permitted to respond. However, please know that he will appreciate these emails tremendously


Background Information

The Confrontation
During Sea Shepherd’s 2009-2010 Antarctic Whale Defense Campaign: Operation Waltzing Matilda, Captain Pete Bethune was volunteering his services as skipper of the Ady Gil. On January 6, 2010, the much larger and more maneuverable Japanese whaling vessel Shonan Maru No. 2 deliberately rammed and split the Ady Gil in two, then hosed its crew members down with water cannons as they scrambled for safety amongst the wreckage.

The Rescue
As the Ady Gil began to take on water, the Shonan Maru No. 2 ignored Sea Shepherd’s multiple requests for assistance. Fortunately, another Sea Shepherd vessel, the Bob Barker, was nearby and was able to rescue the Ady Gil crew members. After repeated attempts by the Bob Barker to salvage and tow the remains of the Ady Gil to a nearby French base, and after removal of all remaining fuel and pollutants on board, the Ady Gil was ultimately deemed unsalvageable and sunk to a watery grave.

Citizen's Arrest
As a New Zealand citizen, Captain Bethune was empowered under New Zealand law to serve a citizen’s arrest warrant on the captain of the Shonan Maru No. 2 for the sinking of his vessel and the attempted murder of himself and his crew. On January 15, 2010, Captain Bethune made his first attempt to serve the Shonan Maru No. 2 with a citizen’s arrest, but he was unable to complete the service. On February 15, 2010, Captain Bethune made a second attempt, and this time, he was able to successfully board the Shonan Maru No. 2 to deliver his citizen’s arrest warrant, along with an invoice for the loss of the Ady Gil.

Captain Bethune Detained
Unfortunately, upon boarding the Shonan Maru No. 2, Captain Bethune was detained and taken all the way back to Japan, where he is currently being held in a Tokyo jail cell awaiting formal charges and a possible trial. At the moment, Sea Shepherd is working closely with Captain Bethune’s legal defense team in an effort to obtain his release from Japan as quickly as possible.

Source: Support Captain Bethune
Author: Sea Shepherd

Link: An environmental activist who climbed board a Japanese ship in the Antarctic faces up to 15 years in prison after being charged yesterday with crimes of violence and weapons violations in the latest round of the battle ...
Link: Anti-whaling activist held in virtual isolation, says wife
Link: Japan to indict activist who boarded whaling ship

Date: 2010-03-26


seedling in soil
German Agriculture Minister Aigner and FAO head Graziano da Silva urge international community to develop principles for responsible investments
photo GerdAltmann_pixelio.de
Wild wolves and brown bears killed over £20 Rudolph pâté

For correspondents: